Saturday, December 11, 2010

"Thanks...but I already have a girlfriend...."

This past weekend I was all up in the club, doing my thing with some friends, when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around and this cute girl was standing there with a drink, smiling, and said, "Hey, I thought you were really great in the choir concert last night." We introduced ourselves, chatted for a second, and then came The Pause. I knew she wanted me to ask her to dance, but I have a girlfriend already, so that was a no-go, and she was just standing there smiling. What to do next??? How do I let her down easily?

I just said "Well, it was nice to meet you" and turned back to my friends. Could I have just told her straight up that I have a girlfriend and I appreciate her coming over to talk to me?

4 comments:

  1. Since when does being in a relationship = no dancing with other people? Or rather, why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he just didn't want to lead Cute Girl on? I think that's fair. I know I wouldn't want to go hit on some guy and then start doin' my thing on the dance floor with him, only to find out later that he's taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's tricky. I don't think it would be fair of me to dance with the girl without her knowing that I have a girlfriend. We would treat the situation very differently. Furthermore, if my girlfriend found me dancing with another girl without her knowing, it could lead to a pretty awkward situation. Dancing between friends who all know the situation could be all right, but I think a complete stranger might be a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SlowLearner... I do believe you are learning.

    ReplyDelete